Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Vegan steak.

I'm a sucker for vegan "novelty" food. When I saw Viana Cowgirl Veggie Steaks at Whole Foods a few months ago, I couldn't pass them up. I've never missed cow steak, but I really had to see what a vegan steak would be like (spoiler alert: it's like a well seasoned chunk of seitan).

I also had potatoes and carrots in the fridge. In true meat-and-potatoes fashion, I made sure there was nothing green on my plate:

I mashed the potatoes and added some raw garlic. For the carrots, I made the Sweet & Salty Maple Baby Carrots recipe from Appetite for Reduction (I just sliced the regular carrots and didn't bake them quite as long). Then I pan-fried the steak according to the package, which only took a few minutes.

My review? It won't fool anyone, but it had a good flavor and toothsome (such a dumb word) texture. It really needed some sort of sauce or gravy, though. It reminded me of whatever the meat was in the swiss steak my mom used to make, and I think it would be good in that type of preparation. I probably won't buy it again, but it was novel to eat "steak" for the first time in a decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment