Tuesday, November 12, 2013

V'con Extra Vegan Tamarind Lentils

As I've mentioned before, cooking all the recipes in Veganomicon was on my list of things to do before I turned 30. That item has since been usurped by less time consuming things like going to China and walking across the Grand Canyon. Occasionally, though, I pull out the book and decide that I'm going to get through it (not necessarily by May 16, 2015, though).
 
Today was one of those days. I decided to try the Tamarind Lentils. Lentils and rice seems extra-vegan, but I'd read rave reviews of this dish on the PPK Forums, so I figured I'd give it a try. To make the dish a little more photogenic, I added some color with Sauteed Spinach and Tomatoes. (Recipes are available on Google Books).
This was really easy to make. It was a bit time consuming, but that's because I only have one medium pot and needed it to cook both the rice and the lentils. If I had a second pot, or a rice cooker, the whole dish could have been done in 40 minutes. As you can see from the ingredients picture, I started making it at 10pm, so it was all getting packed up for future meals anyway.

Update: As with every V'con recipe I've ever made, this turned out great. It reheated well and had the added benefit of not being liquid, i.e., it didn't spill all over my purse when I threw one in there in the morning to take to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment