Friday, October 25, 2013

MoCOO Day 25: Almond Cookies

Whenever my sister and I went to the grocery store with my mom as kids, she'd always let us pick out a candy bar at the check-out counter. I think a lot of parents do that as an incentive for their kids to behave. I'll save my musings on food-as-a-reward-leads-to-dysfunctional-eating for another day and just say that I still haven't gotten over the instinct to buy a bag of peanut butter M&M's every time I'm at the grocery store. Now that Kroger has Justin's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups, that instinct is often actualized. BUT since it's Month of Cupboard Clean Out and I'm not buying groceries OR prepared food, I had to indulge my sugar cravings in a more creative way. While flipping through Veganomicon, I noticed that I had all the ingredients to make Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies. Except walnuts (an arguably key ingredient), but I figured almonds would make a decent substitution.
These are your basic vegan cookies. You mix (a ton of) sugar with oil, add flax seeds and non-dairy milk for a binder, and dry ingredients. The dough was a little sticky to work with, but my cookies came out looking less deformed than usual, so that's a win.
These were really, really good. They had the perfect combination of chewy and crispy textures and the almonds were a great flavor against the chocolate. I ate a few and froze the rest. Then ate the frozen cookies over the next two days. Oh well, at least I tried!

No comments:

Post a Comment