Friday, October 11, 2013

MoCOO Day 11: Breakfast pudding

I'm very surprised by how well MoCCO (Month of Cupboard Clean Out) is going. The food I've made has all been delicious, I've kept my October grocery spending to $14.06, and my fast food purchases to $0. Here's how my week has gone:

Monday (Day 7)
Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch:
tomato soup
Snack: grapes
Dinner:
Imperial for well-deserved margaritas and vegan Sonoran hot dog

Tuesday (Day 8)
Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch: tomato soup
Dinner:
Field Roast tacos

Wednesday (Day 9)
Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch/dinner: veg curry from
Rice Bowl

Thursday (Day 10)
Breakfast: oatmeal
Lunch: tomato soup
Dinner: Field Roast Tacos

Friday (Day 11)
Breakfast: brown rice pudding (see below)
Lunch/dinner: mujadara wrap at
CK Mediterranean Grille

Circa 2005, I made
Brown Rice Pudding from the Candle Cafe Cookbook. I've been thinking about it ever since, but never got around to making it. Since I was finally out of oatmeal, but not raisins, I thought it would make a good breakfast. Because pudding + breakfast = great idea.

The recipe is super simple. Total active time is probably 5 minutes. You just mix cooked brown rice with a milk/arrowroot mixture, then add a little maple syrup, cinnamon and salt. The recipe called for 1/4 cup of raisins, but I need at least one in every bite, so I added about 3/4 cup. Bake for an hour, stir in a little more milk, et voila! Breakfast for the next few days:

The recipe said it serves 8-10, but I made it into four servings (ha!). I figured the one cup of brown rice, one tablespoon of maple syrup and <1/4 of raisins is 350-400 calories, which makes a pretty good meal to keep me going through a run and morning at work. I don't think it's sweet enough to serve as a dessert, but makes a slightly decadent breakfast. And it's good hot or cold, so I don't even have to wait 60 seconds for the microwave before eating it. An all-around MoCCO win!

1 comment:

  1. I love your MoCCO! I need to do that too! Brown rice pudding for breakfast sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete