Thursday, October 24, 2013

MoCCO Day 24: Ch-ch-ch-chia

You can tell a lot about someone by his or her reaction to the mention of chia pudding. If you hear "I love that stuff", you know that person eats like a hippie. A reaction of "yeah, I keep hearing about that", means that person reads a lot of blogs. If you get a blank stare followed with "you mean like a Chia Pet?", you know you're talking to a normal person. If you're not familiar with chia pudding (because you're a normal person), when soaked, the chia seeds absorb the liquid and get a texture similar to tapioca pudding. They're supposedly a super-food and provide a caffeine-like buzz. I can't confirm the latter because any "buzz" was masked by the four cups of coffee I drank this morning.

Excluding the [not so] occasional binge on Nutter Butters or Cocoa Krisipies, I eat a fair amount of hippie food. My jar of chia seeds has been sitting in the refrigerator for over a year, though, largely because the pudding needs to sit for a few hours and I never plan that far ahead for breakfast. But in the spirit of Cupboard Clean-out, I forced myself to spend two minutes prepping last night. I did buy a few groceries for this: a pint of raspberries for $1.25 and bananas for $1.46, bringing my monthly grocery spending to $17.76.

I mixed 3T of chia seeds into one cup of unsweetened almond milk before bed last night. In the morning, I mashed in a banana then added a handful of raspberries.


This tasted pretty good. It only took a few minutes to throw together and was a lot healthier than Cocoa Krispies. I still have soooo many chia seeds, so I'll probably be eating similar concoctions over the next few months.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! You have really inspired me with this Month of Cupboard Cleanout. I think I am going to take this idea from you. I just have to choose a month. Thanks for sharing the MoCCO with us!

    ReplyDelete