Saturday, October 5, 2013

MoCCO Day 5: Less is More Tacos

Month of Cupboard Clean Out is going surprisingly well. I've held my monthly grocery spending at $13.13 and haven't bought any prepared food. Fortunately, I have no problem eating the same thing day after day. Here's how my meals have worked out since my last post:
 
Thursday (Day 3)
Breakfast: oatmeal w/ raisins
Snack: dark chocolate (left over from S'mores cupcakes)
 
Friday (Day 4)
Breakfast: oatmeal w/ raisins
Lunch: (veg) tuna salad sandwich
Dinner: blueberry pancakes
 
Saturday (Day 5)
Breakfast: oatmeal w/ raisins
Lunch: (veg) tuna salad sandwich
Snack: grapes
Dinner: Field Roast tacos (see below)
 
I had a random jar of salsa verde in my cupboard. I bought it a year ago to make some recipe, then never did, and have moved it to three kitchens since. I already had Mexican Chipotle Field Roast sausages and corn tortillas, so tacos were the obvious solution (aren't they always?). 
I soaked navy beans and planned to make some sort of cumin-flavored refried white bean concoction to add to the tacos. But after a few (too many) beers this evening, I wasn't willing to do that much work. Instead, I chopped up the sausage and browned it, put it atop two warm tortillas and spooned on some salsa. 
These were great and so, so easy. It's good to be reminded that sometimes the most simple dishes taste the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment