Sunday, September 22, 2013

MoFo Day 22: Happy Birthday Buster!

Cupcakes might not be as trendy as they once were, but I still think they’re adorable. Since her birthday was Saturday, I had my sister go through Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and pick out which kind she wanted. She chose S’mores Cupcakes, which was great because I serendipitously had all the ingredients on hand. 

The cupcakes are made with brown sugar and molasses and have graham cracker crumbs mixed in. Then they're topped with vanilla buttercream frosting. Despite how desperately I wanted one, I rarely use my KitchenAid stand mixer. I hate having to always stop the mixer and reach around the attachment to scrape the bowl, plus the bowl is so deep that I have a hard time reaching the bottom (#firstworldproblems). I generally find it easier just to use a hand mixer, but I do love it for making bread and frosting. I wanted to make these at least partially resemble the adorable picture in the book, so I brought out my trusty Wilton frosting bags and 1M tip for decorating.

After piping the frosting and topping with graham cracker crumbs and shaved dark chocolate, they were actually looking pretty cute. I left one for my ever-patient roommate who never complains about me taking up 90% of the kitchen cupboard space or having boxes all over the dining room and office despite moving in over a month ago.

Pardon the phone pic, and the frosting which settled a bit on the 35 mile drive, but here they are ready for my sister:

These got rave reviews from my omni family. The cupcakes were very moist, and had a very 'fall' flavor of molasses and cinnamon. And my sister took the leftovers home, so I don't even have to eat 6 cupcakes in the next few days. Happy Birthday Buster!

1 comment: