Monday, September 9, 2013

MoFo Day 9: Nostalgia Pancakes

Vegan Planet will forever hold a special place in my heart as my first cookbook. It was a Christmas gift shortly after I went vegan in 2004. As a college sophomore, my cooking skills were light and my knowledge of food beyond the SAD was nonexistent. I learned more from this book than any textbook that year. A few of the recipes were failures, but a lot of that was not knowing that the griddle had to be hot BEFORE putting the french toast on it or that you're not supposed to stir rice while it's cooking. I had some major wins, too: the Pan-Fried Tofu and Watercress with Lemon-Caper Sauce is my standard dish for introducing people to tofu and I make the Tempeh Simmered with Tomatoes and Sauerkraut every time I have an open jar of sauerkraut. It's a solid book of simple recipes that I overlook too often.

I've been trying to branch out and make the more challenging recipes I always skip over during MoFo, but laziness got the best of me and I chose Flax-Berry Pancakes because I already had all the ingredients. The recipe is posted here.



They're pretty standard vegan pancakes, using flax seed and water in place of eggs. The recipe specified to use a blender to mix the ground flax seed and water, whereas every other recipe ever says to mix with a fork. I used my immersion blender as a compromise, but a fork would have worked just as well.

I've never been good at making pancakes and these were no exception. As usual, I overmixed the dough and had the heat too low at first. The batter also didn't spread, so my first batch were sad, gummy, pale patties rather than pancakes.  With higher heat and manually spreading the batter, they were looking pretty decent by the end.
That's tomorrow's breakfast, complete with vanilla-infused maple syrup from my sister (thanks sister!). Judging from my QC, I'd say these were pretty good, and definitely healthier than my standard vegan pancakes since they use flax seed instead of oil for binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment