Wednesday, September 11, 2013

MoFo Day 11: Real Salad Daily

Club sandwiches have always been one of my favorite foods. Whenever I see a vegan club on a restaurant menu, I order it. Back in 2010, I was planning a trip to Los Angeles. While researching restaurants, I found quarrygirl had recently rated the club sandwich at Real Food Daily as the best in LA, so I had to make a stop there. During the four days I was in LA, I ate at RFD three times (I mandated the first, the next two were at my omni companion’s request – that’s how good it was). Fast forward to 2012 and I saw The Real Food Daily Cookbook on Amazon for a pretty low price. The book has a lot of tempting pictures, and one that has always stuck out is the Mexicali Chop Salad with Crispy Tortilla Strips and Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette. Since the past few days have been over 90 degrees, a citrusy salad sounded perfect.
I’ve been pretty good about following recipes exactly during MoFo, but I got lazy on this one. The recipe made six servings, so I halved it. I don’t mind eating the same thing all week, and I even kind of like soggy salad, but not after six days. I used canned beans (didn’t plan ahead to soak dry beans), and left out the cayenne pepper (I was out), celery (forgot to buy), and maple crystals (it was raining and I was hungry, so I didn’t want to go on a scavenger hunt). Aside from roasting the red pepper and baking the tortilla strips, this was really easy. I considered buying tortilla strips, but I’m glad I didn’t. These were fantastic. With a glass of wine, this was the perfect dinner for an Arrested Development marathon.



No comments:

Post a Comment