Thursday, June 4, 2015

Cheesecake Dreams (aka Daiya review)

Cheesecake was always my favorite desert, even when I was a kid and the only "cheesecake" I'd ever had was Jello No-Bake with cherry pie filling on top. Fast-forward a few decades, and I consider myself something of a connoisseur enthusiastic-consumer of vegan cheesecake. Metro Detroit Whole Foods stores sometimes have slices from the Chicago Diner that are FANTASTIC. I buy one whenever I see it, but at $5 a pop, that gets pricey. 

I'd heard about the new Daiya cheesecakes and was excited to finally see them in the freezer case. The Detroit Whole Foods had both chocolate and New York Style on sale for $6.99 the last time I was there, so I figured I'd give it a try. The downside is that it has to thaw 4-6 hours, but I'm a genius glutton, so I bought a ready-to-eat Chicago Diner slice AND a frozen Daiya one.

The verdict? Delicious! It's not exactly an 'authentic' cheesecake (like the Chicago Diner version), but more like a tangy, thick mousse, which is also delicious. I attempted to exercise self-control in this picture, but ended up eating the rest straight out of the plastic container over 24 hours. I also want to try the NY Style, but I knew better than to have two of these in my apartment at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment