Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Happy Dark Season + a wreath

There are two seasons in my world: leaving work in daylight and leaving work in the dark. With the end of Daylight Savings this past weekend, I was abruptly pushed into the dark season. I know it's technically been fall for a while now, but now that MY season changed, I was finally inspired to make a fall wreath. I stopped by JoAnn to get some ideas and found their fall floral was 70% off (procrastinating DOES pay!). Unfortunately, it was almost all hideous, but I did mange to grab a few sprigs of yellow and orange berry/bud things for $0.89/each, plus a spool of burlap ribbon. I had some old dried wheat that had seen better days (it was turned into maracas during a dance party... don't ask) and a grapevine wreath already, so the whole thing cost $11. I didn't take any in-process pictures, but here's a basic overview of the process.

Step 1: Gather materials.

 Step 2: Recruit assistants.

Step 3: Insert decorations into wreath until it takes desired shape.

Step 4: Admire your handy work.

Unfortunately, there's not much natural light in my apartment hallway, so I can't get a good image of the colors. But I'm really happy with how it turned out, especially considering it cost $11 and took an hour. I really did just jam everything into the wreath in a circular pattern. For the bow, I loosely used this tutorial. I'm pretty proud of my ingenuity, because to make the bow you're supposed to use floral wire. I didn't have any, so instead I used a piece of the wire I'd cut off the sprigs of berries. It required pliers to bend it properly, but it worked!

1 comment: