Sunday, November 16, 2014

Peanut butter + waffles = heaven

I was like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for Vegan Brunch to come out back in 2009. When I finally got my hands on a copy, I made at least half the recipes. I ate brunch food for breakfast, lunch and dinner for months. Then like most new toys, I just kind of forgot about it.

Fast forward to 2014... I wanted waffles for breakfast and leafed through the book to see what I had ingredients for in my nearly empty cupboards. Peanut butter waffles were the clear winner, even though I didn't have any peanut butter [because all PB that enters my home is immediately consumed]. I did have peanuts, and while I felt a little guilty running the Vitamix at 9 on a Sunday morning in my apartment, my desire for waffles overrode any feelings of neighborly courtesy. So armed with some freshly ground peanut butter, I got to work.

The batter was easy enough to throw together, and true to the instructions, very forgiving of my tendency to overmix. My waffle iron was a hand-me-down and came without instructions. After years of disappointment that my waffles never turned out right, I decided to check the internet for an instruction manual. Sure enough, I found it, and realized I'd been using too much batter all this time. And what do you know? These turned out great! I served them with some sliced apples, EB and maple syrup. They were great - not overly sweet, just the right mix of crunchy and tender, and a hearty way to start the day. Vegan Brunch FTW!


1 comment:

  1. Yum! Growing up on the weekends my dad would make us giant waffle iron waffles slathered with peanut butter! It is such a good combo!

    ReplyDelete