Friday, September 26, 2014

MoFo Day 26: Bagel craving

Tofurky Deli Slices have always been among my favorite vegan 'novelty' foods. I vividly remember the first time I tried them - on a sandwich at Seva in Ann Arbor shortly after going vegan. It had Tofurky slices, roasted red peppers and Vegenaise on multigrain bread. (That was ten years ago. I wish I could remember useful information as well as I can remember meals.)

Over the years, I've made countless Tofurky sandwiches. My current favorite is Hickory Smoked Tofurky, avocado, tomato, sprouts and lettuce. That's a special occasion sandwich, though, because it's a lot of work. Seriously, there are so many steps in slicing an avocado! Plus tomatoes and rinsing lettuce? Ain't nobody got time for that. Today, I opted for a much easier version of Tofurky, Daiya provolone, Vegenaise and dijon mustard on a bagel. I tried the provolone once before and thought the flavor was too sweet. And surprise, I still thought it was too sweet. Next time I'll skip the cheese, but this was still a solid (super-processed, non-nutritious) sandwich.


No comments:

Post a Comment