Sunday, September 7, 2014

MoFo Day 7: Impromptu Breakfast

When people ask me what I miss from my pregan days, the main thing I think of is "breakfast." Not breakfast food, because I've found veganized versions of everything I could want. By "breakfast," I mean the ability to go out for breakfast. Now I live within biking distance of a number of places with great vegan brunch options (PJ's Lagerhouse and Seva are my top picks), but going out while traveling or in the suburbs generally means hash browns and dry toast. I don't mind eating that, but I think it makes veganism look really sad to the people I'm with, especially as they scarf down their Grand Slam or eggs benedict and keep looking over guiltily to ask if I had enough to eat.

To restore balance to my vegan universe, I vowed to start cooking more breakfast food, especially when people (i.e., my boyfriend) spend the night. I hadn't planned ahead this morning, but I did have half a loaf of bread that had been in the refrigerator for two weeks. Fronch Toast from Vegan with a Vengeance is one of those awesome recipes that I always have ingredients for (just bread, almond milk, cornstarch and chickpea flour), and it's quick and easy and tastes better than I remember regular french toast tasting. With some Tofurky Tempeh Bacon and sliced pears, I had a delicious and fancy breakfast ready in ten minutes.


4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about going out for breakfast. Few things are better than someone else feeding you in the morning. That French Toast looks like it might be though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to try that Fronch from Vegan with a Vengeance for years! (It was the first vegan cookbook I ever bought). Thanks for the motivation to give it a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, looks like a great breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I made the same Fronch toast Sunday too, but it was for dinner! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete